Thursday, August 29, 2013

Love Letters

Who doesn't love getting a love letter?

Especially from the one you love!

I love watching romantic movies and getting swept away by ink covered pages of timeless love stories.  Something about these stories touch the deepest desire of our hearts.  We want to be sought after...  We want to be beautiful in the eyes of another.  We want to be seen and understood as the unique individual we are.  We want to be loved.

When I started on this journey of writing Hello Sweetheart I really thought and prayed deeply about the message I was called to bring as an artist.  I knew that the best art gives to others and I wanted to give to those who were lonely, down, and seeking some ray of sunshine in this cloudy world.

It's easy as a writer to get pulled into making things too complicated...  But I started to think if my mission was to bring sunshine and hope to people through my art I needed to make it simple.  When we are down our minds are already full of worries and anxious thoughts...  It's amazing when hearing a child laugh, or getting a hug from a friend, or seeing a smile from a passerby can flip around your entire day!  And the mountain of problems you feel like you had suddenly seem so small.  I based my project around reminding people of the little things in their lives that are beautiful...  Because the little things have a way of gently lifting up a broken heart to make a big difference.

As I started this project in February of this year I was suddenly hit with one of the hardest seasons in my life.  I felt depressed, defeated, and struggled with anxiety every day because of a difficult situation that came into my life.  Even so, each day I challenged myself to write a happy song, and the only way I knew it met the need of this project is if it got me out of my "slump" for the day.  I remember writing Mountain Man in my car after a long day of feeling down and the songwriting continued as I got home from work and started cooking dinner...  Before I knew it I was dancing around my house singing, "Oh you will be my mountain man!" :)

What if "stop and smell the roses" is more than just a oversaid phrase?  What if these little things around us are meant to be love letters to us from someone who loves us very much?  What if this person knew the difficult times we'd be going through but they specifically put love letters all around us to remind us we're loved... To remind us to keep going.  To remind us there is a reason to smile.  To remind us that we're beautifully unique and understood.

What if we were somehow missing these letters that were scattered all around us?

I know these letters exists and this project helped me see how they are all around us from a God who cherishes us and loves us deeply!  And when you're in love you want to CELEBRATE!  You want to laugh!  You want to dance!  You want to create!  Why?...

Because you, my friend, are deeply, deeply loved.

Open your letters. <3

Love,
Katie Ro

1 comment:

  1. You might like to read, "1000 Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete